This qualification is the apex of the RYA scheme. The Yachtmaster Ocean is experienced and competent to skipper a yacht on passages of any length in all parts of the world. Certification required before examination:
- MCA/RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate
- MCA/ RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Theory.
Sitting for Yachtmaster Ocean, you must have completed an ocean passage with a minimum non-stop distance of 600 miles. The yacht must have been at sea continuously at least 96 hours and the yacht must have been more than 50 miles from land while sailing a distance of at least 200 miles for 48 hours. The candidate must have been fully involved in the planning of the passage, including selection of the route, the navigation plan, checking the material condition of the yacht and storing of spare gear, water and victuals and organizing the watch-keeping routine.
The candidate must provide the examiner with:
- A narrative account of the planning and execution of the qualifying passage.
- Navigational records, completed on board a yacht on passage, out of sight of land, showing that the candidate has navigated the yacht without the use of electronic navigational aids. The records must include as a minimum: planning, reduction and plotting of a sun-run meridian altitude sight and a compass check carried out using the bearing of the sun, moon, a star or a planet.
During the oral exam the candidate may be required to answer questions on all aspects of the ocean passage, that is, passage planning navigation, worldwide meteorology, crew management and yacht preparation, maintenance repairs.
Previous experience and minimum sea time: Ocean passage as skipper or mate of watch.
Certification required before examination:
- MCA Yachtmaster offshore certificate
- Yachtmaster Ocean Shorebased Theory
- First Aid certification up to date
Yachtmaster Ocean Syllabus
This is a course in Astro-navigation and worldwide meteorology which also reveals the mysteries of the sextant. It assumes knowledge of all subjects covered in the other shore based courses.
- The Earth and the celestial sphere
- Passage making
- The PZX triangle
- The sextant
- Measurement of time
- Meridian altitudes
- Sun , star and other sights
- Compass checking
- Satellite Navigation Systems
- Great circle sailing
- Passage planning
Yachtmaster Ocean Shorebased theory
|40 Hours Theory||Group of 4|
|Price per person||800€|
Minimum 2 participants are required to set a course
Above prices include: 40 Hrs. Theory, RYA Ocean Shore based Certificate, Instructor's fee, course material.
Above prices do not include: Air tickets, transfers, provisions